Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Exploring ruins as inspiration

I'm very pleased to announce another event here in Scotland - on Thursday (5th December) I shall be at the University of Stirling giving an illustrated talk on the topic of Exploring ruins as inspiration.

The talk is open to anyone and entry is free. It starts at 2pm and is being held in Pathfoot B2 on the university campus near Bridge of Allan.

The idea for the talk came from Professor Danel Olson, who was the unfortunate(?) American academic who got stuck in the mud outside a ruined church on Hallowe'en with me and my daughter!

Undaunted by this experience he continued to express his enthusiasm for my exploration of ruined places, and eventually talked me into giving a lecture about it.

I have even promised to include some never-before-seen photographs of some urban exploration I did whilst we lived in Belgium.

I'll be talking about some very ancient ruins and some very modern ones, and reading some excerpts of my work that were directly inspired by these locations. I'll also be taking along some books to sell, so if anyone would like a signed copy, now is your chance!

In other news: I hope to have a recording of one of my Innerpeffray ghost stories online in the next few days. I spent 31st October (the library's last day before its hibernation) at Innerpeffray as "writer in residence" and wrote a set of three interlocking stories set in and around the library, which I read aloud to an audience the same evening. We have had a few minor technical hitches in processing the recording (a ghost in the machine, perhaps?!) but I hope to be able to post something very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment