Friday, November 11, 2011

Argh!!!

I'm currently working very intensively on a new novel (my fourth); I reached 77,000 words yesterday and then decided to take a break because I wanted to think very carefully about what happens next. There were one or two plot details that needed thinking through before I plunged in and wrote myself into a corner. I think best when I'm out and about, either driving or walking, so I decided to go along Lady Mary's Walk, a very picturesque route which follows the River Earn. Finding a nice quiet place to go was important for one very good reason: I like to think aloud when I'm working an idea through, and if you do that in the Co-op people are likely to give you some very funny looks indeed. I hardly met a soul on the first part of the walk, although I did look behind me now and again to make sure nobody was around. Nope, completely alone. So on I wandered, rambling away to myself. On the way down Laggan Hill I was deep in discussion with myself when a small black dog ran past me, hotly pursued by a female runner. How she managed to sneak up on me so silently when the ground was covered with crunchy brown leaves, I shall never know, but she almost certainly heard me remark, "Well, maybe Egbert could be responsible for the maintenance."
Dog-walking running lady, whoever you are, I am not mad - just writing.

5 comments:

  1. People along a forest path near where I live always have a heart attack when I cycle past them, but I genuinely don't know how they don't hear my bike, which makes a serious racket along that bumpy path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a thing with runners: they have this ability to come up from behind and scare the snooker out of people.

    By the way, hello! I'm Christie; I read and loved "The Vanishing of Katharina Linden" last year. I live in Germany and am waiting for my mom to send me "The Glass Demon" for Christmas. I just wanted to say that I love your writing, and thanks so much for the good stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, my name is flo and im 11. I am living in Reigate, Surrey and have read The Vanishing of Katharina Linden and The Glass Demon for a school project. I have to compare the books and write summaries and character profiles as well as information about you. I was wondering if i could ask some questions, or how i could ask you some questions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to run and I sometimes cycle and I never know how to approach people who seem blissfully unaware of my approach...ringing a bell or shouting seems rude somehow!

    Thanks for the kind words, Christie!

    Flo: yes, I'm very happy to reply to your questions - just send them to me at helengrantsays@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete